Wednesday 16 January 2013

Know yourself

We had our first career services session this morning and as a class I believe we were happy to know that our career search will be guided by such a fantastic team! Apart from being phenomenal at what they do, they are also really pleasant and an absolute pleasure to work with. The career services team had also invited IMD alumni to share their perspectives which was of course a treat for all of us!
During the session a few themes were repeated - Start early and “know yourself”. Now starting early was not a problem but “know yourself”…I wondered through lunch and my many discussions with classmates what that meant and more importantly – how do I know myself?
Over the past weeks, we all have been busy writing the first drafts of our PPIN – Personal and Professional Identity Narrative – and perhaps had an opportunity to think about our life's, the people who have impacted us, our decisions, choices and values. Soon we will begin our leadership stream and have the opportunity to work with psychoanalysts, coaches and mentors who will perhaps help us further understand or reflect on the same.
In my case, I realize that I have been rushing through life always in search of the “next best thing” with little or no time for self-reflection and I hope through this year, I will have the opportunity to think about who I really am and what I really want to do when I grow up J
As Mark Twain said “I can teach anybody how to get what they want out of life. The problem is that I can’t find anybody who can tell me what they want.”
At the end of the career services session, I was a bit relieved when the IMD alumnus stated that Self-Awareness was a key trait of IMD MBA graduates. I certainly hope he is right! but until then, Finance and Accounting case studies await me this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment