Wednesday 23 January 2013

From MBA applicant to IMD MBA candidate

In the past few days, I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of potential IMD MBA applicants who have reached out to me and that’s when it hit me – the first application deadline of February 1st was quickly approaching! A year back, many of us were eagerly preparing our applications and stressed about completing the 11+ essays which I believe is the most for any business school application!! This was followed by the assessment day where we were participated in group exercises, classes and interviews.
So today when an applicant asked me for advice about applying to IMD, I figured it might be a good time to share few things that helped me:
1.       Reach out to alumni and current students - Before you apply to any school, try to develop an understanding of the “school dynamics”. When I applied to IMD, all I had to do was email the MBA admissions office and in less than a week I had a list of alumni in the Middle East. BUT, what really surprised me was the fact that every alumnus I contacted (and most were at VP level or above) replied to me in less than 48 hours! If you want to talk about a close knit alumni network, IMD says it all!
2.       IMD has a really unique application tool  – “Assess your chances” – which helps you get feedback from the Admissions office regarding your strengths and areas of improvements based on a short profile you submit
3.       Try to schedule a conversation with the MBA Admissions office to gain better insight – here at IMD they treat applicants as individuals and not another number in a sea of applicants. Better yet, if you are in the area, try to schedule a campus visit. Trust me you won’t regret the opportunity to attend our classes – they are simply spectacular and thought provoking!
4.       Now on the topic of the essays – lots to be said, but my advice – “be yourself” and don’t be afraid to share, discuss your story and your life! Remember that’s what makes you unique and that’s why 89 other people would love the opportunity to learn from you!
Good luck Round 1 Applicants and remember we all have been in your place but I can assure you that getting accepted to IMD makes all the hard work worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment