Sunday 21 April 2013

Leadership experiential 2 and Module 1 results…and thank you Juno!

As Natalia mentioned, we finished our second leadership experiential this weekend and when the clock hit noon on Saturday, we also received our Module 1 exam results in our mailbox!!!! You can imagine the excitement and anxiety after an already mentally intense weekend at the experiential…
I don’t want to get into the details of the results but all I will say is that I was happy that I performed ahead of my expectations and I was pleasantly surprised with the amount I have grasped in an intense 4 months!
…but more than the exam results, I was extremely pleased with the outcome of the second leadership experiential…the first one was very intense for me and our group but we stuck together and came out stronger as a group and as individuals…hence, the second one albeit intense, was much more easier than the previous one…I was happy to know that a lot of the deliberate changes I have started making in my leadership style had taken flight and my group members were able to tell the difference…and this my dear readers is sometimes the impact of painful intense experiences. I know some of my classmates who are not completely immersed or interested in the leadership experience find it less valuable; however, for me one of the primary reasons I chose IMD is the leadership stream and the results of my second experiential helped me confirm my decision in choosing IMD for leadership…as Prof. Bryant​ often states, “You will get as much as you are ready to put in” and that is the absolute truth about the overall program but all the more about the leadership stream and with the PDE electives, etc
After my NEO test, I remember meeting my NEO coach trying to address/fix some of the potential "areas of concern' in my personality and I remember asking her “what if I try to make all these changes with no success and in the process also dilute my strengths??” and she smiled and said, “Trust me, its too late to lose your strengths after 30 years and as for the changes…remember you have invested a lot of time, money and your career to be at IMD…if you don’t experiment with yourself here…you definitely won’t next year at the work place! Just do it!” so, here I am trying and experimenting with myself as much as I can and thank you my group mates for bearing with me through all these experiments! J
Finally, here’s a story for you…I was running to class on Saturday morning on the verge of being late when all of a sudden I saw my classmate, Juno stepping out of a bus and running in the direction of IMD…she said “don’t wait for me, just run!” and I did, only to slow down later to catch some air and down the hill came Juno and pulled me and kept me running…Thanks Juno for reminding me that amidst all the competition and drive to excel, IMD is really a collaborative effort where we must remember to help each other!!
Enjoy your Sunday!

Vikas Menon
 

No comments:

Post a Comment