Wednesday 13 February 2013

The “I” in IMD = Intensity!

You can probably tell by our recent posts, the pace is picking up and moving from fast to INTENSE!
Earlier this week, I was pleasantly surprised when I bumped into an IMD Alumnus 2012 during lunch. I was complaining about the intensity of the program and the lack of sleep when he said “it feels so weird to be here, it’s like seeing your ex-girl friend as someone else’s wife”( and yes he was referring to the MBA program J )….so I said “you can take her back because we are exhausted” …jokes apart, I asked him if it was normal to have days when you are absolutely exhausted, surviving on 4-5 hours of sleep and hoping for the program to be over with!…….his response was that it would be surprising if we didnt have days like that! He added that it’s important that we enjoy the highs and lows of the program….the intensity, pressure and the learning that comes with it…..later that day, my wife shared the below article with me  “Why High Stress Breeds the best leaders” (Steve Tobac, Inc.)
and it basically highlighted how today’s leaders work in environments of stress, intensity, adversity and competition and how this brings out the best in them…….yes, citing examples of successful CEO’s, Nobel prize winners and entrepreneur’s definitely helped boost my morale in addition to that conversation with the alumnus!
It’s around 11 pm and I have been up and running since 6:30am and I still have a few hours of reading to go but I’m slowly beginning to realize that I can do this and much more….and it’s the fact that 90 of us keep pushing our limits every day that gets me going and gets me convinced that “When the going gets tough, we IMD’S(aka the tough) get going!”
Best regards,

Vikas Menon​​

No comments:

Post a Comment