Thursday 28 February 2013

Entrepreneurs can sing!

You might say that there’s nothing common between entrepreneurs and singers and perhaps before our Entrepreneurship class with Prof. Benoit​ I would have agreed. But this morning, while exploring the concepts of Valuation and Crowdfunding, we had an opportunity to see Crowdfunding and its benefits at its best!
Our guest speaker (or may I say singer) was Licia Chery (http://liciachery.com/) who not only amazed us with her fantastic voice and talent but also spoke to us about her passion for music and her struggle to achieve her dreams. In a music industry where it’s becoming tougher and tougher for new artists, Licia bravely followed her dreams and with the support of her fans was able to use the Crowfunding site – My Major Company http://www.mymajorcompany.com/ - to launch her first album. And while crowdfunding and her fans (investors) may have provided her the financial support to launch her album, I learnt that she is not very different from an entrepreneur who in essence has to develop an idea/talent, brand, find investors, manage day to day operations while focusing on your passion and also ensure that investors/fans are happy with your performance.
This was followed by a marketing simulation which stared at 2:30pm and ends tomorrow afternoon. I got home at 11:30pm and was about to crash after being at school from 7:30am when I realized that my blog entry was pending and it’s way too early in the program for me to miss a blog! ( I know this day will soon come given the racing intensity of the program but I will fight it as long as I can)
In the words of Licia Chery - “You are the designer of your destiny and you are the one deciding how your reality will look like!”

Goodnight!

Vikas Menon
 

No comments:

Post a Comment