Friday 8 November 2013

T-28 and NOT counting…

Hello everyone…it’s been a while since we’ve gotten back to the regular schedule of blogging or any regular routine for that matter…
As my fellow bloggers have mentioned we are busy with the various electives…for me it’s been super exciting so far with an elective this past week with Prof. Nuno : Managing International Growth: A Strategic Finance …if you had told me in the first three months of the program that I would be willingly selecting another finance course,  I would have laughed! …but this is life, you start enjoying new things you never thought you could like and you start realizing what you don’t like…next week, I have an elective with Prof. Benoit: Special Topics in Private Equity and Venture Capital ….but beyond these electives what has really kept me excited is a case I am writing under the guidance of Prof. Benoit focused on entrepreneurship….a group of 3 of us are writing a case on the restaurant Eat Me in Lausanne, an innovative concept-restaurant opened and managed by an IMD MBA alumnus - Serena - last year and I’m sure you would have read about it a million times in our various blog posts….
Every afternoon the group and I put together pieces of the story of the Entrepreneur (Serena) we have collected through our various interviews and interactions with her….we conduct 2-3 detailed interviews with her every week where we learn in great detail about her challenges, ideas, the restaurant business, funding and what it feels like to live life on a roller coaster aka “The life of the entrepreneur”….as part of the case, we are also conducting video interviews which can hopefully be used by future MBA classes for the entrepreneurship course just as we have witnessed many interesting and inspirational case interviews during our classes….what makes it special for me is that I have always wanted to get into the restaurant, club or bar business at some point in my life and hearing first-hand about how menu items are priced or about how affinity financing works or about how important it is to drive consumer experiences is learning everything about the business first hand from the entrepreneur….what more can you ask for!!!
 So on one hand, I am living the entrepreneurs dream through this case and learning so much about the business, on the other hand we have the electives but wait what about the job search and the interviews I am juggling…..you see at IMD, just like in life, the learning never stops and the learning for this phase for me is patience, patience and more patience….Why? because  I am still in the interview process for some of my potential jobs and probably won’t have a decision till the end of November…now those who know me including my lovely partner know how much I hate waiting and how much I hate leaving things in other people’s control….but this is life and this is also part of the IMD education…at the end of the day, you try your best and hope for the best!
But the education is not simply about waiting but it’s also being able to live in the present and enjoy life for today and the now and not for the dream job (or any job) that may happen tomorrow or waiting on a positive response…so I am also trying to enjoy the fact that I have one last month as an IMD MBA student, I have one last month amongst my IMD MBA family and friends and I am  trying my best to learn how to cherish these moments ….
Super excited about the last leadership experiential tomorrow…
Have a good weekend!
Vikas

No comments:

Post a Comment